Trouble falling asleep or staying asleep?
Try these strategies…
- Don’t stay in bed more than 20-30 minutes trying to fall asleep. Leave your bedroom and go to a relaxing room other than the bedroom and read or do a relaxation technique (e.g., meditation).
- Consider reading a good neutral book under low light to help with falling asleep.
- If using a tablet or phone for reading, make sure they are in the nighttime setting and brightness is as low as possible.
- If using a light, don’t use a table lamp. Instead use a HUD light or other small light that only illuminates the reading material.
- If you awaken early because of light, put a dark covering over your eyes.
- If you awaken early because of recurrent thoughts, try writing them in a journal. If this does not help, consider counseling. Depression might be a factor.
(The Institute for Functional Medicine)